Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

I plan on using the GAME plan process with my students to help them develop proficiency in technology standards. I will start by having a class discussion that focuses on what technology is, why technology is important, and how they will need technology in the future. Next, I will have my students write down the different types of technology they encounter on a daily basis at home and at school. This will require them to acknowledge how large of an impact technology has on their everyday lives. I will then pass out a survey for them to rate themselves according to how comfortable they are using specific types of technology. We will discuss the survey and different ways students can become more comfortable with certain aspects of technology. The students will be asked to set two technology goals for themselves and create plan of action on how they can achieve these goals. The students will keep these goals in their classroom binder. I will discuss which their goals along with progress towards those goals with the students during our usual biweekly conference.

3 comments:

  1. Pauline:

    I think your GAME Plan is comprehensive. It would be very interesting to see how they would be able to maintain it. The GAME Plan gives them more responsibility over how they incorporate technology into their learning of content, which is something they are not accustomed to. They view technology as a tool that provides enjoyment, for socializing, and doing things quickly, efficiently, and creatively. So this is a good idea to bring relevance and focus to using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,

    I like how you articulated how you will be using the GAME Plan with your students. I think I was making it too hard (I'm bad about that!)and that's why my students were a bit lost when I asked them to make their GAME plans several weeks ago. I think now, they have forgotten they made it. I may follow what you are going to do step by step. I think my students will understand better this time.

    Oh, an if you don't have your survey yet, remember there were technology surveys in the Eagleton & Dobler book from the inquiry class. You might be able to use one of them--save yourself some work!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having students set goals and talking to them about their progress is a great way to move them toward being responsible for their own learning! I like the idea of biweekly conferences. What are you talking about with them? Do you see that students are transparent with you about their learning? With which type of technology are your students less comfortable? Is it the same one with which you are uncomfortable? It sounds like you are well on your way to helping your students become technology savvy. Great ideas! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete