Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Evaluating My GAME Plan Progress

My actions in meeting my goals were effective. I have discussed blogging with my students. My students seem excited and open to the idea. I think they enjoyed hearing their peers would be their audience and they will be able to make comments to one another. I still need to work out a few problems. Does anyone know a way for students to have to send their blogs to be previewed before they are able to be seen by the public? A few students have behavioral problems and I do not want inappropriate material connected to my classroom. Also, we will be conducting a webquest tomorrow on the brain. I am excited to see how it turns out, how they navigate the Internet, and if they are engaged in the lesson. The webquest is well laid out. I am using one that has already been created and it provides the students with a link and an answer document. I think this will be a great way to introduce the concept of webquest and see how my students react. There are so many things I still need to learn and I am willing to embrace any suggestions or comments. I love the idea of adding more technology to my classroom. I recognize I have to teach the students how to properly use the technology in order for it to be effective. This will allow me to facilitate the lesson while the students are actively engaged in self-directed learning.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Meredith~
    I am right on your same page when it comes to creating a blog with my students'. I have similar concerns in regards to students who have difficulty listening to directions. I am thinking using partner peers at times to assist these students to stay on track while online. The importance of setting expectations and goals I feel can set the environment for searching and exploring online, hopefully without derailing to an inappropriate site. This is an important topic to bring up. I hope the web quest lesson went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    Congratulations on your GAME plan progress. I understand your concerns and was wondering if your district has an acceptable use policy for your students. My district developed one several years ago, and every student must review and sign it every year. If your district doesn't have such a policy, perhaps your principal can help you create something that will help your students understand how to use the internet appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline:

    Adding technology to the classroom does enhance learning. I find that the classes become more alive and there is a lot of creativity and innovation. Students begin to problem solve and think critically when they work collaboratively to solve problems using the digital tools and creating their projects. Like you, I wish I could learn more about it and have more access to the equipment in my classrooms. It would be great!

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. There may be a way to have blogs go through your approval prior to being posted. We have to turn off a setting to allow comments to automatically post to our Walden blog so you may be able to work out something along those lines. If your school allows the students to access the internet, then they should have some form of an acceptable use policy. Your concerns are valid, especially with students that have behavior issues.

    ReplyDelete