Monday, January 10, 2011

Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences

After visiting the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), I examined the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). NETS-T is a list of performance indicators that can help improve student learning and continue to learn as an educator. I have chose two performance indicators and have developed a GAME plan to strengthen my confidence in these areas.

The first indicator in NETS-T that I have chosen to strengthen my confidence in is to facilitate and inspire students learning and creativity. This will help engage students in the learning process and help promote creative thinking while also teaching students 21st century skills. In order to achieve this goal, I must find meaningful and real-life activities that involve technology. The activities I choose must engage the learner, allow the learner to explore using technology, and encourage the learner to think creatively. Examples may include a web quest or creating a presentation using a variety of digital tools. Actions I will take to achieve this goal include exploring different websites and learning activities that I believe will advance student thinking and learning. I will need to teach my students how to use the technology or allow students proper time to apply self-directed learning. I will also need to plan meaningful activities that involve technology.

The second indicator from NETS-T I have chosen to strengthen my confidence in is to engage in professional growth and leadership. This indicator requires me to take part in continuing education to help ensure I am up to date on current technology that will help promote student learning. Action I will take in order to achieve this goal include taking technology classes throughout my career. One step towards this goal includes taking technology classes such as this one through Walden University. I also plan on taking classes offered through my school district. It is important that I participate in continuing education for technology to ensure that I can hep prepare students for the future. Using technology can also engage students and hold them accountable for their own learning.

I plan to monitor my progress, evaluate, and extend my learning towards these goals by enrolling in at least one technology class a year. I plan on reflecting on these goals by writing what I think was effective, how students responded, what I thought was ineffective or needed improvement, ways I could improve my teaching to facilitate/inspire student learning and creativity. Also, it is important I use my colleagues and students knowledge to help me reach my technology goals and prepare my students for the real world.

3 comments:

  1. Meredith,

    You know another way you can work on your second goal, to engage in professional growth and leadership, is to offer to host a "technology support" group, or a professional learning community through your school or district. Even if you din't know everything, you can share things that work, offer demonstrations, etc., and then others in attendance could do the same thing. I find that oftentimes, people are just looking for others with the same interests, or areas of growth, but need someone to step forward and say they'll be the "leader." It could be really laid back and relaxed, and since it's not mandated, only the people that really want to come and share would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Meredith:

    It is so important now to keep abreast with what is happening with technology infusion today. Students are exposed to all kinds of technology, which seems to moving at such a fast pace, that trying to keep up is like running around a race track! Thankfully, there is a lot of resource material available from a variety of sources, especially online which is easily accesible.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith,
    Using digital tools will definitely allow students to develop their creative thinking skills. Since there are many different technology tools for students to use, they are sure to find the tool that matches their learning style and needs. Differentiating instruction is such an important component of education today and technology is a great tool to aid in this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete